Thursday, March 22, 2012

Googling Juan Gris

I'm not ashamed to admit that I regularily use the Google homepage to keep updated with  various holidays and birthdays of influential and historically relevant personas. The dedicated images created in holiday theme or for a celebrated recipient always brightens my morning (this does tend to confuse co-workers when I'm celebrating the birth of a 200 year old, but hey, I am easily pleased by bright colours and fun shapes!).

Today's image was in tribute of Juan Gris, who I have now claimed as one of my favourite artists. The cubist painter whose 125th birthday it is today, uses bold colour, shapes, angles and objects to depict his impressions of places, people and situations. Familiar with various cubist artists such as Picasso and Braque (and yes I do understand that one Art Appreciation class at UCLA doesn't make me an expert) I appreciate the ingenuity in the contrasting colour and detailed subject matter that is imbedded in the abstract shaping. Officially a Juan Gris groupy (bandwagons don't take much for me to jump on), looks like I'll have to take a trip back to MoMA to check out the originals, or at the very least the website...



http://www.juangris.org/

http://www.moma.org/

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. thanks for sharing! I had let the google illustration pass me by... I'm going to take more notice tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes do! Those googlemites are clever buggers and very insightful :)

    ReplyDelete